The WW2 veteran, who was knighted after raising millions of pounds for the NHS during the first coronavirus lockdown, is in hospital with coronavirus. His daughter, Hannah, made the announcement on Twitter earlier this afternoon. She said Sir Tom is not in intensive care.
Hannah also said that Sir Tom had been receiving treatment for pneumonia over the last few weeks before his positive COVID test result.
She said in a statement:“I wanted to update everybody that today (Sunday 31st January) my father was admitted to hospital.
“Over the last few weeks he was being treated for pneumonia and last week tested positive for Covid-19.
“He was at home with us until today when he needed additional help with breathing.”
“He is being treated in a ward, although he is not in ICU.
“The medical care he has received in the last few weeks has been remarkable and we know that the wonderful staff at Bedford Hospital will do all they can to make him comfortable and hopefully return home as soon as possible.
We understand that everyone will be wishing him well. We are of course focusing on my father and will update you when we are able it. Hannah x”
Sir Tom raised over £23million for the NHS by walking 100 laps of his garden during the first lockdown.
The Queen rewarded his remarkable fundraising efforts with a knighthood shortly afterwards.
MORE TO FOLLOW