Coronavirus is a raging threat across the globe with every country attempting to protect its citizens. New Covid variants are breaking out and often proving to be more easily transmissible. Prime Minister Boris Johnson today said he took “full responsibility” for the Government’s actions in the wake of the devastating death toll. But as deaths continue to rise, are you entitled to a £60,000 payout for anyone you may have lost?
The UK death toll from the coronavirus crisis has officially passed 100,000, with 1,631 new deaths within 28 days of a positive test recorded on January 26.
Mr Johnson said: “We truly did everything we could.”
He added: “I’m deeply sorry for every life lost.”
Earlier, figures from the ONS, which are based on death certificates, showed there had been nearly 104,000 deaths since the pandemic began.
Mr Johnson offered his “deepest condolences to everyone who’s lost a loved one.”
The PM said: “Fathers and mothers, brothers and sisters, sons and daughters, and the many grandparents who’ve been taken.”
READ MORE: Lockdown extended: When will the third national lockdown end?
As of January 25, the following countries have the top five highest number of deaths:
- The USA: 432,332 deaths – 1,322 per million
- Brazil: 217,831 deaths – 1,040 per million
- Mexico: 161,671 deaths – 1,252 per million.
- India: 153,724 deaths – 115 per million
- The UK: 100,162 deaths – 1,503 per million.
Piers Morgan slams Boris Johnson’s ‘shocking’ COVID death toll apology [INSIGHT]
Matt Hancock issues statement after UK hits grim Covid milestone [EXPLAINER]
Denise Van Outen speaks out on messages from Mick Norcross [VIDEO]
The NHS and Social Care Coronavirus Life Assurance Scheme is designed to recognise the increased risk faced by staff during the crisis.
A payment of £60,000 will be made to the estate of eligible individuals who die from coronavirus contracted during their frontline essential work.
The scheme is only eligible for individuals who provide hands-on personal care for people who have contracted coronavirus or who work in health or social care settings where the virus is present.
Scheme information for England and Wales is available for claimants and employers here.
READ MORE: Boris gives heartbreaking statement on dark day as 100,000 dead
Who is eligible for the scheme?
For a claim to be accepted, the Health Secretary must be reasonably satisfied that:
- Coronavirus disease was wholly or mainly the cause of death
- The individual was exposed to a high risk of contracting coronavirus disease in circumstances where they could not reasonably avoid that risk because of the nature and location of their work.
- The individual contracted coronavirus in the course of their work
The following circumstances are considered to be likely eligible criteria for where the individual was:
- Testing or diagnosing whether a person is infected with or contaminated by coronavirus
- Coming into close proximity by reason of caring for, supporting, treating or providing other clinical service to a person who has, or is suspected of having, coronavirus or coronavirus disease.
- Providing any other type of service within the same environments where those services are delivered.
- Where the individual was performing duties that do not fit these scenarios, or if it’s difficult to establish the presence of coronavirus in the workplace, the claimant is invited to explain why they think the individual was exposed to a high risk of contracting coronavirus because of the nature and location of their work.
You can make a claim use the following forms based on your location whether in England or Wales.