Meghan Markle, 39, and Prince Harry, 36, have denied claims they planned to take part in a reality TV-style Netflix documentary about their lives. Reports emerged the couple might feature in a fly-on-the-wall programme on Monday but these were quickly rebuffed by a Sussex spokesman.
A source claimed they hoped to “give people a glimpse into their lives and see all the charity work they do” which a spokesman for the couple has since denied.
The spokesman said: “The Duke and Duchess are not taking part in any reality shows.”
Royal reporter and author Omid Scobie tweeted: “Pretty obvious this was false but a Sussex rep says the couple ‘are not taking part in any reality shows.’
“Source adds that the only shows in development now ‘are the ones we have previously confirmed’ — a nature docu-series and an animated series celebrating inspiring women.”
READ MORE: Meghan Markle and Harry speak out on claims regarding reality show
Meghan and Harry signed a £112 million dollar deal to make programmes for the streaming giant earlier this month.
While the couple are understood to have a nature docu-series and animated show about inspiring women in the making, there remains much speculation as to whether they could appear in front of the camera too.
Meghan and Harry’s decision to leave royal life behind was partly fuelled by their wish for more privacy.
However, in recent weeks they have made several virtual appearances, including Meghan appearing as a surprise guest on America’s Got Talent last week.
Mr Fitzwilliams claimed the scale of the Netflix agreement reflects the couple’s global appeal.
He said: “It is important to remember that they have global reach and the reported scale of the Netflix deal reflects this, though it may, of course, mean sacrifices.
“The deal represents a royal flush for the streaming giant.”
However, despite the royals’ global reach, the expert claims interest in the Sussexes has dwindled in the UK.
Mr Fitzwilliams added: “Interest in the UK in what they produce is likely to be negligible according to a YouGov poll earlier this month, reflecting the perception that their own interest in Britain is currently minimal too.”
The ongoing coronavirus pandemic makes Meghan and Harry’s return to the UK highly unlikely for now.
The couple have been based in Montecito, California with their son Archie Harrison since July.
They are expected to raise Archie in the USA and Meghan has spoken of her happiness at being back in her homeland.
In recent weeks the former actress has leant her support to campaigns encouraging Americans to vote in the upcoming election.
While Meghan will cast her ballot in November, Prince Harry will be unable to as a British citizen.