Meghan is suing the publisher of the Mail On Sunday and MailOnline, Associated Newspapers, over articles published in February 2019 which reproduced parts of a “private and confidential” handwritten letter she sent to her estranged father Thomas Markle in August 2018. Omid Scobie, co-author of a new book about the Sussexes, said in an interview this week that Charles “quietly supported” the 39-year-old’s decision to take legal action.
But a royal source told the Mirror the claim is “entirely false”.
Taking to Twitter, Meghan Markle fans – dubbed the Sussex Squad – hit out at the heir to the throne.
One pointed out that the 71-year-old sued the Mail on Sunday in 2005, writing: “The idea that Prince Charles would openly state that he does not support Meghan suing the Mail for publishing her private letter, the very same paper he sued for publishing his journal is nothing short of HYPOCRISY.
“But #SussexSquad expect nothing less of #RoyalDoubleStandards.”
Meghan fans have turned on Charles following claims he does not support her legal action
Meghan is suing Associated Newspapers over articles published in February 2019 which reproduced parts of a “private and confidential” handwritten letter she sent to her estranged father Thomas Markle in August 2018
Another posted: “I agree completely……It is glaring hypocrisy on Prince Charles’s part and further than that it shows the hypocrisy of the entire BRF. Shameful.”
A third added: “It speaks a lot about the character of Charles which is sorely lacking.”
In an interview with True Royalty TV, Mr Scobie said: “What is interesting and I found time and time again, his sympathy for the couple was often there [but] he was almost too afraid to voice it or take it any further.
“He quietly supported Harry and Meghan’s decision to sue the Mail on Sunday over the letter – but did he publicly support them? No.”
READ MORE: Meghan Markle ‘planning return to acting’ – and she could earn £38m
Omid Scobie said Charles “quietly supported” Meghan’s decision to take legal action but a royal source insisted the claim is “entirely false”
New book Finding Freedom, by Mr Scobie and Carolyn Durand, also claims Charles put his public image above his relationship with his sons Prince William and Prince Harry.
The biography reads: “Charles is extremely focused on his public image and there have been times Harry has felt that has taken precedence over everything else.”
But a royal insider hit back: “Not only is this book incredibly one sided for various gripes from Harry and Meghan, claims of breakdowns in the relationship with his father and him supporting their various legal cases are entirely false.”
Finding Freedom makes a series of claims of a breakdown in relations between the Sussexes and other members of the Royal Family.
Meghan Markle news: Meghan ‘picked up English accent’ after 2 years [INSIGHT]
Queen should NOT step down despite chaos gripping Royal Family – poll [POLL]
Real reason Meghan and Harry ‘lost their sparkle’ amid Royal exit row [ANALYSIS]
Finding Freedom makes a series of claims of a breakdown in relations between the Sussexes and other members of the Royal Family
Meghan and Harry are said to have not contributed to the book.
It comes as the couple are starting a new life in the US with their one-year-old son Archie.
They have bought an £11 million home in celebrity hotspot Santa Barbara.
The property has nine bedrooms, a games room, home theatre, spa facilities, an elevator, gym, swimming pool and a tennis court.
Meghan and Harry are starting a new life in the US with their son Archie
The Queen’s grandson and the ex-Suits star plunged the monarchy into a period of crisis earlier this year when they announced bombshell plans to step back as senior royals
And alongside the main home there is a two-bedroom guesthouse.
The Queen’s grandson and the ex-Suits star plunged the monarchy into a period of crisis earlier this year when they announced bombshell plans to step back as senior royals.
They released a shocking statement in January alongside a website they had secretly prepared.
The Queen was forced to hold a summit with Charles, William and Harry to discuss the Sussexes’ future roles.
Meghan and Harry had hoped to continue supporting the Queen while earning their own money.
But the plan was deemed unworkable as it would have led to accusations they were cashing in on their royal status.
It was later announced they would no longer be working members of the Royal Family and stop using their HRH styles.
Clarence House declined to comment.