The Duke and Duchess of Sussex quit royal duties last March and are now living in America. But the hardest moment for Harry, who was in the Army for 10 years, was giving up his honorary military titles and his role as Commonwealth Youth Ambassador, according to royal author Carolyn Durand.
Writing in Grazia, she cited a source as saying: “It stung, and even today he has not been able to move on from that.”
Harry’s forces appointments – Captain General of the Royal Marines, Honorary Air Force Commandant of the Royal Air Force Base Honington, and Honorary Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Naval Commands’ Small Ships and Diving – were put on hold after Megxit and he is not currently allowed to take on any roles using them.
The Sussexes’ departure from the Royal Family is due to be reviewed after 12 months and it will be the Queen’s decision as to what happens to the titles.
Harry was also left hurt after his request for a wreath to be laid on his behalf at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday was denied.
A source said: “That hurt as much as the day his honours were taken away.”
Harry and Meghan Markle released a shock statement announcing their intention to step down as senior royals a year ago.
They hoped to carve out a dual role supporting the Queen while becoming financially independent, but this was deemed unworkable.
They officially ended royal duties on March 31.
READ MORE: Queen must act NOW before Meghan and Harry ‘irreparably harm’ royals
Last month, they released their first podcast which featured a sweet appearance from Archie.
Meghan and Harry are now in a “very good place” one year on from sparking a royal crisis with Megxit.
A source said: “After a very turbulent 12 months for everyone in the world and massive changes of moving country and all the rest of it, they have also been very vocal about what they have gone through in their own personal life.
“They have a house. They have created the financial independence that they were after.
“They have launched their organisation and their organisation is under way doing amazing things already.
“And so I think that they are in a very good place.”
On January 8 last year following a six-week break in Canada, Harry and Meghan released their bombshell statement announcing plans to step back as senior royals.