The Duke of Edinburgh was admitted to the King Edward VII Hospital on Tuesday evening last week as a “precautionary measure”. Her Majesty has reportedly had a “rough few weeks” due to her husband’s hospital admission and Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s permanent departure from royal duties.
On Friday, Buckingham Palace confirmed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will not be returning as senior members of the Royal Family.
The Palace also said the Duke of Edinburgh is “comfortable and responding to treatment” but is not expected to leave hospital for several days.
A source told Us Weekly: “It’s been a rough few weeks for the Queen, that’s for sure.
“The situation with Harry and Meghan has been challenging, and on top of that, she’s distraught over her beloved husband’s health setback.”
In the Palace’s short statement on Tuesday, they said: “The Duke of Edinburgh remains at King Edward VII’s Hospital where he is receiving medical attention for an infection.
“He is comfortable and responding to treatment but is not expected to leave hospital for several days.”
On Saturday, Prince Charles visited his father in hospital.
The Prince of Wales spent about 30 minutes at the hospital on Saturday afternoon.
READ MORE: Prince Philip: Queen finding it ‘difficult’ to cope with Duke’s health
He said: “I think that gets to all of us, and then, you can only watch the clock so many times and the walls are only so interesting.”
Edward added: “We’ve had some brilliant and lovely messages from all sorts of people and we really appreciate that and so does he, I’ve been passing them on. It’s fantastic, thank you.”
Another Palace insider alleged to Us Weekly: “The queen has had some tearful moments mixed with anger and disappointment.
“Emotions are definitely running high.”
On Friday, a statement from the Palace said the royals were “saddened” by Meghan and Harry’s decision but that the Sussexes “remain much loved members of the family”.
Meghan and Harry initially shocked the nation last year when they decided to step down from their royal duties.
As part of their deal with the Queen, the Sussexes agreed to have a 12-month review with the Palace.
The Palace insider told Us Weekly that Meghan and Harry’s move to America has been “hard” for the Queen, especially as their son Archie is soon to become a big brother.
Earlier this month, the Sussexes announced they are expecting a second child with some royal commentators predicting Meghan’s due date to be at the end of Spring.