Queen news: Monarch put foot down amid Megxit despite Charles’s hopes | Royal | News (Reports)

0
96

The Queen and Prince Charles were of a different mind after Meghan and Prince Harry announced their intention to step back as senior royals. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex outlined in their bombshell statement dated January 8, 2020, how they saw their future life and relationship with the Crown.

Their plan was to become financially independent from the Sovereign Grant and pursue profitable ventures while retaining all their patronages and the right to represent the Queen and the Crown with visits and tours.

This half-in, half-out solution would have seen Meghan and Harry effectively creating a status of part-time working royals.

As reported by the Daily Express royal correspondent Richard Palmer, Prince Charles believed at first a solution could be found along the lines of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s statement.

However, the Queen did not agree with her son.

Mr Palmer wrote: “When the Sussexes first announced their intention to quit and seek to make their own money, Prince Charles thought it possible for them to continue half in and half out of the Firm.

“But in the end the Queen decided it was impossible for the Sussexes to earn money commercially and represent the monarchy officially.”

The Queen and Prince Charles were two of the major players taking part in the summit at Sandringham in January last year, when the royals agreed the terms of Meghan and Prince Harry’s exit as senior royals.

READ MORE: Meghan Markle row erupts as Palace hits back at birth cert claims

Prince William and Prince Harry also took part in the meeting.

While the Duke of Sussex had lunch with his father and grandmother, the Duke of Cambridge arrived at Sandringham House only 15 minutes before the meeting was due.

His late arrival was due to the fact William was too angry with his brother to sit down for a meal with him, according to royal expert Katie Nicholl.

DON’T MISS 

She told ET online: “When William went to the Sandringham summit, he was so angry with his brother, he couldn’t even face going to that lunch with the Queen.

“He only went for the meeting, such was his frustration.

“He had a feeling of disappointment about what his brother had done and how Harry was handling the situation.”

During the summit, the royals fleshed out the terms of the Megxit deal, which resulted in Prince Harry relinquishing his three military patronages – which are expected to be handed out to other senior royals later this year.

Moreover, following Megxit, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex can no longer carry out royal duties or visits and can’t use their HRH styles.

The deal will be reviewed by the Firm at the end of March, following a 12-month review period.

But one source indicated it is unlikely there will be a showdown, as they said: “There’s not much to discuss.”

Prince Harry opened up the Megxit deal only a few hours after Buckingham Palace released its terms in a statement.

Speaking during a charity event for his organisation Sentebale, Harry said: “What I want to make clear is we’re not walking away, and we certainly aren’t walking away from you.

“Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the commonwealth, and my military associations, but without public funding.

“Unfortunately, that wasn’t possible.

“I’ve accepted this, knowing that it doesn’t change who I am or how committed I am.

“But I hope that helps you understand what it had to come to, that I would step my family back from all I have ever known, to take a step forward into what I hope can be a more peaceful life.”

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.