Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has confirmed she will announce a “circuit breaker” this week, implementing a series of new lockdown measures in Scotland. Ms Sturgeon has denied a decision had already been made, but reports are suggesting a two-week Scotland-wide lockdown could be introduced as early as Friday.
An NHS source said last night to they had been told another Scottish lockdown was coming.
The source told : “We’ve been told to expect it from 7pm on Friday.”
Tim Allan, of the Scottish Chambers of Commerce, said: “Talk of a further blanket lockdown is unacceptable to Scottish businesses.
“It would damage consumer and business confidence, which have already taken an unprecedented economic hit throughout this crisis.
READ MORE: Nicola Sturgeon sparks backlash as another coronavirus lockdown slated
“We know the virus will be with us for a long time.
“We must learn to manage it so we can carry on with our lives and protect livelihoods while keeping the risk of transmission as low as possible.”
Recent data from Public Health Scotland suggests 43 percent of all coronavirus cases across Scotland last week were only in two council areas – Edinburgh and Glasgow.
In Glasgow, between September 27 and October 3, there were 193 cases per 100,000 people – while in Edinburgh there were 143 per 100,000.
She said Scotland has recorded two new coronavirus deaths in the past 24 hours.
The deaths, of patients who first tested positive for the virus in the previous 28 days, take the total number of fatalities under this measure to 2,532.
She said 800 new coronavirus cases have been recorded in Scotland in the past 24 hours, where 303 of these are in Greater Glasgow and Clyde, 167 in Lanarkshire and 164 in Lothian.