Tonight, ministers are expected to hold the cabinet meeting as they decide whether or not to impose further nationwide lockdown restrictions. Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford will make an announcement tomorrow.
While insisting no final decision has been made yet, information has pointed to a 16-day circuit breaker lockdown being introduced from the end of the week.
A Welsh government spokesperson said: “We are actively considering advice from SAGE and our TAC Group.
“A ‘fire break’ set of measures to control COVID-19, similar to that descried in the SAGE papers, is under consideration in Wales.
“As the First Minister set out in his press conference on Friday, we have discussed this advice with stakeholders and partners.
“But no decisions have been made.”
Earlier this week, Wales banned parts of England, Scotland and Northern Ireland from visiting the country.
Mr Drakeford announced the new measures to curb the spread of the deadly virus after pleading with Prime Minister Boris Johnson to impose travel restrictions.
The First Minister said: “We are preparing to take this action to prevent people who live in areas where there are higher COVID infection rates across the UK from travelling to Wales and bringing the virus with them.”
READ MORE: Keir Starmer slapped down in fierce exchange over COVID rules
The ban was imposed from 6pm on Friday as cases across the country continue to rise.
Over the last 24 hours, there have been a further 950 cases of COVID-19 diagnosed in Wales, bringing the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 35,628.
Public Health Wales said three further deaths had been reported, with the total number of deaths since the beginning of the pandemic rising to 1,711.
A Welsh Government spokesman said: “The measures we have put in place at both a local and a national level, with help from the people of Wales, have kept the spread of COVID-19 under check.
“However, there is a growing consensus we now need to introduce a different set of measures and actions to respond to the virus as it continues to spread across Wales more quickly during the autumn and winter months ahead.
“Ministers have held a number of meetings over the weekend with senior Welsh Government officials, scientists and public health experts to consider their advice on a potential need for a ‘fire break’ set of measures to control the virus.
“The Welsh Cabinet met this evening to consider that advice.
“The Cabinet will meet again tomorrow morning to make a final decision.
“The First Minister will update the people of Wales on any decisions taken tomorrow.”