Today, IPO has launched its new trade mark pre-application service. It is a new online tool to help individuals and businesses improve their chances of successfully registering a trade mark. It is aimed at people who have not applied for a trade mark before, and have little or no knowledge of the application process.
Customers can use the tool before they apply for a trade mark to:
- check if anyone already has a trade mark too similar to the one they want
- identify whether aspects of their proposed trade mark are not appropriate, such as offensive words or protected symbols (for example crown or crest)
- identify the right groups of goods and services for their proposed trade mark
- see an estimate of their application costs
The tool does not:
- save the data that is input
- give legal advice
- form part of the formal trade mark application process – it provides guidance to help with the formal application
The tool is designed around customer feedback and features artificial intelligence (AI) powered checks and searches to produce meaningful, tailored and helpful results.
To access the tool go to the first page of the trade mark application form on GOV.UK, select the first option ‘trade mark owner or the authorised person within their business’ and click ‘continue’.
You will then be presented with the option to access the pre-application tool or continue with your trade mark application.
The tool is currently in public beta, which means it is an early version of the service that is still under development.
If you are a business applying for a trade mark for the first time, we encourage you to try out the new service and provide feedback on your experience.
If you have any queries, please contact [email protected].