At 3.45pm this afternnon, a witness said shoppers had been evacuated from the shopping centre, in Rotherhithe, Southwark. A spokesman for the Surrey Quays Shopping Centre told Express.co.uk there were two different incidents this afternoon. Shoppers were evacuated after a fire alarm was falsely set off.
Police were already at the shopping centre as they were searching for an armed person.
He said: “There were two separate incidents as the first was a false fire alarm.
“Police were already on site for an armed suspect in a nearby Tesco, but they did not find him.”
The Met Police also confirmed this to Express.co.uk.
READ MORE: Surrey Quays shopping centre shut down after stabbing
The shopping centre has an array of shops inside which are still open despite England’s second national lockdown.
This comes after an 18-year-old man was found with stab wounds at the shopping centre last month.
In a statement, the Metropolitan Police said: “Police were called at 12.15pm on Friday October 16 to reports of an assault at Surrey Quays Shopping Centre.
“Officers, the London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance attended.
“An 18-year-old man was found suffering from stab injuries.
“He was taken to an east London hospital; we await an update on his condition.
“A crime scene remains in place.
“At this early stage, there have been no arrests.
“Anyone with information is asked to call police via 101 quoting reference Cad 2781/16Oct.”
MORE TO FOLLOW.