Meghan Markle and Harry to ‘take on world stage’ after Duke’s ‘emotional rollercoaster’ | Royal | News (Reports)

0
102

On Friday, Buckingham Palace confirmed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will not be returning as senior working royals. Meghan and Harry initially shocked the nation last year when they decided to step down from their royal duties.

As part of their deal with the Queen, the Sussexes agreed to have a 12-month review with the Palace which was expected to be held around March.

A statement from the Palace said the royals were “saddened” by Meghan and Harry’s decision but that the Sussexes “remain much loved members of the family”.

Writing in the Guardian, royal commentator Caroline Davies said the Sussexes’ decision to not return to royal duties “comes as no surprise”.

Discussing Meghan and Harry’s announcement last year, Ms Davies continued: “At the time the Queen gave her reluctant blessing to their ambition for a new ‘progressive role’ and stressed they would remain ‘a valued part of my family’.”

The royal expert went on to suggest the 12-month grace period was done “more for the couple to establish if they could make enough money to become self-funding”.

Meghan and Harry have proved they can be financially independent “in spades”, according to Ms Davies.

Last year, the Sussexes signed deals with the streaming giants Netflix and Spotify.

The couple are expected to produce documentaries and shows for Netflix and have already released a podcast on Spotify to promote their Archewell brand.

READ MORE: Queen’s heartbreak: Real story behind painful Harry decision

Ms Davies also claimed the whole experience has been an “emotional rollercoaster” for Prince Harry.

She wrote: “For Harry, who has now given up everything, it has undoubtedly been an emotional rollercoaster.

“He allowed a glimpse of his inner turmoil when, in a speech at a private London dinner last year for his charity Sentebale – of which he retains his patronage.”

At the Sentebale event, Prince Harry said: “Our hope was to continue serving the Queen, the Commonwealth and my military associations without public funding. Unfortunately that wasn’t possible.”

The Duke also spoke about how there was “no other option” during the speech last year.

He said: “Once Meghan and I were married, we were excited, we were hopeful, and we were here to serve.

“For those reasons, it brings me great sadness that it has come to this. The decision that I have made for my wife and I to step back, is not one I made lightly.

“It was so many months of talks after so many years of challenges. And I know I haven’t always gotten it right, but as far as this goes, there really was no other option.”

Fans of Meghan and Harry have heaped praise on the couple over their decision to permanently step down as senior royals.

One social media user wrote on Twitter: “I congratulate them and have so much respect for them both. They are now making their own living and will be free to actually do things that matter in the lives of others, not just for show, but for real. Bravo.”

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.