Meghan Markle and Harry: Andrew Neil ‘won’t watch interview’
Meghan has issued a deeply personal statement over allegations of bullying published yesterday evening by a British newspaper. Her spokesman said: “The Duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma.
“She is determined to continue her work building compassion around the world and will keep striving to set an example for doing what is right and doing what is good.”
On Tuesday, The Times published a story related to bullying accusations when Meghan and Prince Harry were still frontline members of the Royal Family in 2018.
Meghan’s spokesman told to The Times: “Let’s just call this what it is — a calculated smear campaign based on misleading and harmful misinformation.
“We are disappointed to see this defamatory portrayal of The Duchess of Sussex given credibility by a media outlet.
Meghan Markle has been ‘saddened’ by recent allegations of bullying, her spokesman said
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry speaking to Oprah
“It’s no coincidence that distorted several-year-old accusations aimed at undermining The Duchess are being briefed to the British media shortly before she and The Duke are due to speak openly and honestly about their experience of recent years.”
The statement added the “defamatory claims” made by The Times have been addressed in full in a legal letter to the newspaper.
Buckingham Palace did not issue a statement to The Times. Express.co.uk has also contacted the palace for a comment.
These claims come just days before Meghan and Prince Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey is to air on US television.
READ MORE: Prince Louis to miss out as George and Charlotte return to school
Meghan Markle and Harry’s interview with Oprah is airing in the US on Sunday
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are appearing for the first time together on a sit-down interview since they officially stepped down as full-time working royals.
On Monday, US network CBS released two 30-second teasers which gave a taste of what Oprah has touched upon during this special.
In one clip, the journalist asks Meghan – whose answer is not portrayed – whether she was “silent or silenced”.
The clip then cuts to Oprah telling the public “there is no subject that is off-limits”, confirming what her friend and colleague Gayle King had already anticipated in late February.
Meghan Markle was asked by Oprah if she had been ‘silent or silenced’
Prince Harry speaking to James Corden
The teaser also shows the journalist telling Meghan: “Almost unsurvivable… sounds like there was a breaking point.”
Harry, who joined the pair at a later stage during the interview, also features in the trailer, where he voices his worries about “history repeating itself”.
Meghan and Prince Harry’s interview with Oprah is scheduled to air on Sunday at 8pm ET (Monday 1am GMT) on CBS.
Meghan was last interviewed by a broadcaster in October 2019, during the Sussexes’ tour to South Africa.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are no longer full-time working royals
Speaking to ITV’s broadcaster Tom Bradby, the Duchess voiced her struggles at being a new mother living under the relentless scrutiny of the public eye.
During the same tour, Prince Harry also opened up to Mr Bradby, in particular about his relationship with Prince William and the long-lasting impact the death of Princess Diana has had on his life.
But, unlike Meghan, the Duke of Sussex has already sat down for a chat, albeit shorter and more informal than Oprah’s, in February, when he appeared on The Late Late Show with James Corden.
During the show, the prince opened up about his family life and how “exhilarating” his son Archie is.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry got married in 2018
He then revealed how Prince Philip ends his video call – by shutting down the laptop – and which present the Queen sent across the pond for Archie on Christmas.
However, the Duke also touched upon more serious topics, including how the media fascination for his family was having an impact on his mental health.
And, speaking about his decision to relinquish his role as full-time working member of the Firm, he said: “As far as I am concerned, whatever decisions are made on that side, I will never walk away, I will always be contributing.
“My life is public service so wherever I am in the world it’s going to be the same thing.”