On Wednesday the streaming giant announced it had agreed a deal with Meghan and Harry to produce films, documentaries and children’s shows for its platform. This follows a similar agreement Netflix made with Barack and Michelle Obama in 2018.
However, there are concerns the deal could cause tensions between the couple and the wider Royal Family.
According to a royal insider, speaking to The Mirror, any contract signed by Meghan and Harry “will be scrutinised by the royal household”.
The source said: “Harry and Meghan did leave as working members of the family with everyone’s best wishes and it is sincerely hoped they find the happiness that appeared to be lacking in their lives.
“However, it goes without saying any deals they are making will be scrutinised by the royal household.
Meghan and Harry’s Netflix deal to be “scrutinised by the royal household”
Netflix announced its deal with Harry and Meghan on Wednesday
“Under the terms of their deal to forgo their royal duties, they agreed any commercial deals would be subject to discussion.
“This deal with Netflix, any speaking engagements or other corporate work are examples.”
“Both the Royal Family and senior courtiers will be aware of how this looks to the public, especially as the couple have not yet paid back the £2.4million they promised to refund to the taxpayer for Frogmore Cottage, which will be their UK base.”
It is not known whether Harry and Meghan will use their titles, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, for their Netflix project.
READ MORE: Meghan and Harry’s new Netflix show is NOT first royal venture into TV
Harry and Meghan recently purchased a £11.2m home in California
In January the couple caused a global sensation by announcing they planned to step down as working royals.
Instead they vowed to become “financially independent” whilst splitting their time between North America and Britain.
Following discussions with senior Royals Meghan and Harry agreed to drop their ‘Sussex Royal’ brand and to repay the £2.4million of taxpayer money spent refurbishing Frogmore Cottage, their former home near Windsor.
According to The Mirror this sum has not yet been repaid in full.
Queen urged to remove Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s royal titles [SHOCK]
Harry and Meghan slammed as ‘naïve’ for expecting privacy in US [ROYAL]
Meghan Markle ‘could mirror Obamas AGAIN’ with another huge move [NETFLIX]
Harry and Meghan will make documentaries, films and children’s shows for Netflix
Meghan and Harry stepped down as working royals earlier this year
In a statement Ted Sarandos, Netflix chief content officer, said the company is delighted by its deal with the couple.
He said: “Harry and Meghan have inspired millions of people all around the world with their authenticity, optimism and leadership.
“We’re incredibly proud they have chosen Netflix as their creative home – and are excited about telling stories with them that can help build resilience and increase understanding for audiences everywhere.”
The Duke and Duchess recently moved into a £11.2m home in a town north of Los Angeles.
The luxurious property includes a tennis court, swimming pool and children’s cottage.
Reacting to their deal with Netflix Meghan and Harry commented: “Our lives, both independent of each other and as a couple, have allowed us to understand the power of the human spirit, of courage, resilience and the need for connection.
“Through our work with diverse communities and their environments, to shining a light on people and causes around the world, our focus will be on creating content that informs but also gives hope.
Harry and Meghan pictured with their son Archie
“As new parents, making inspirational family programming is also important to us, as is powerful storytelling through a truthful and relatable lens.”
Prince Harry has already been working with US star Oprah Winfrey on a documentary series about mental health for Apple TV+.
In March a new Disney nature documentary, voiced by Meghan, was released.