Prince Harry could be ‘banned’ from wearing military uniform at events – new Megxit terms | Royal | News (Reports)

0
76

Prince Harry had to step down from a number of military appointments, including Captain-General of the Royal Marines, when he officially quit as a senior royal earlier this year. The Duke had hoped the Queen would reinstate the roles after the 12-month Megxit review, but the monarch is expected to fully strip the Duke and Duchess of Sussex of their patronages and military titles in the coming weeks.

Such a move could see Harry banned from wearing his military uniforms at future engagements, as he would no longer hold his honorary Forces titles.

The Duke, 36, has a number of ceremonial uniforms for his roles in the Armed Forces, and has worn the suits to a number of public events.

In March last year, just weeks before the couple stood down as senior royals, Harry wore his bright red dress uniform as Captain General of the Royal Marines when attending the Mountbatten Festival of Music.

READ  Boris Johnson's Brexit plan: What 'Super Canada' means - UK

He has also attended events in the white Tropical Dress of the Blues and Royals and the Blues and Royals frockcoat which he wore for his wedding to Meghan in May 2018.

But as the Queen is expected to strip Harry of his three honorary Forces titles, the Duke may be unable to step out in his ceremonial uniforms in the future.

This is because retired Armed Forces personnel in Britain are not generally permitted to wear their uniform at official engagements, but they are allowed to wear their medals.

Harry has been allowed to wear his uniform for events because of his honorary titles.

The ban on military uniform following retirement is not automatic – with a procedure in place for exceptions at certain appropriate occasions, which would feature high-level discussions about a specific individual and event.

READ  Trump says Birx ‘took the bait & hit us’ due to ‘horrible’ comments from Pelosi: ‘Pathetic!’ – (Reports)

For Harry, the decision would be made by Buckingham Palace following a conversation with the Ministry of Defence’s ceremonial team.

JUST IN: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry told to ‘stop the flow of me, me, me’

She is expected to strip her grandson of his three remaining honorary military titles and his patronages with the Rugby Football Union, Rugby Football League and the London Marathon.

Meghan will also lose her patronages.

Speaking about whether he will keep his military titles last Friday, Sunday Times royal correspondent Roya Nikkhah told The Royal Beat on True Royalty TV: “Those of us that speak with Buckingham Palace regularly have been briefed very clearly that is not going to happen.”

Daily Mirror royal editor Russell Myers added: “I can’t see that he can. He can’t be ‘one foot in and one foot out’.

READ  Speech to Airport Operators Association, November 2020

“They are honorary titles and you need to be a member of the working Royal Family and they [Harry and Meghan] have chosen their path.”

A source told The Times: “There was no choice. The reality of not being able to have their cake and eat it is finally dawning on him.

“I am sure it is really painful for him. He is very upset to be in this spot.”

They added: “You cannot confuse representing the institution and the head of state with the sort of commercial operations that they intend to run.”

Meghan and Harry have secured contracts with Netflix and Spotify and are due to be interviewed by American talk show host Oprah Winfrey next month.

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.