The Duke of Sussex called the move an “amazing step forward” and “furthers the global leadership” of the UK’s armed forces. The military training is set to begin on April 1 and will help “protect and strengthen the potential and resilience” of the British army personnel.
According to reports, Prince Harry said: “This is an amazing step forward for the British military and furthers the global leadership of our armed forces.
“There should be no difference between how we view our physical fitness and mental fitness and training both will help our service men and women excel, as well as being best prepared for what they may face, in any situation.”
Minister for Defence People and Veterans, Johnny Mercer, told the House of Commons the initiative is part of a move to “completely redesign” mental health provision in the army.
He said: “Over the last two years we’ve made a real effort to completely redesign the mental health care provision for our armed forces personnel both during their time in service and when they leave.
“I’m delighted to confirm for the time this country’s armed forces will receive mandatory mental health training every year from the 1st April next year and I pay tribute to the service chiefs who’ve led the way in this significant policy change.”
In response to MR Mercer’s announcement, Prince Harry said he was “delighted” to hear the news.
He said: “Over the years it has been an honour to work alongside the service chiefs and the Ministry of Defence (MoD) on projects such as HeadFIT, and I am delighted to see such a significant step to protect and strengthen the potential and resilience of our military.
“Thanks especially to Johnny Mercer and to the teams of people who work tirelessly to protect and support our troops and their families’ health and wellbeing.
READ MORE: Royal Family LIVE: Meghan and Harry REPLACED – new ‘Fab Four’ step out
Since the Duke and Duchess stepped down as senior members of the Royal Family, the couple left the joint Royal Foundation with Prince William and Kate Middleton.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle currently live in the US since their departure from the monarchy.
The Duke of Sussex spent 10 years serving in the British Army, including two frontline tours to Afghanistan.
However, after stepping down as a senior royal, Prince Harry lost his military titles.
The Duke held the titles of Captain-General of the Royal Marines, Honorary Air Force Commandant of the Royal Air Force Base Honington, and Honorary Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Naval Commands’ Small Ships and Diving before they were stripped.
Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams previously told Express.co.uk that Prince Harry could possibly get the roles back at his royal review next year.
He said: “The agreement was that they would keep their HRH titles but not use them and also they wouldn’t be able to use SussexRoyal.
“The agreement will be reassessed in a year, that is by the end of March next year.
“It will also involve Harry’s military links such as, Captain-General of the Royal Marines which he greatly prizes and they have been kept vacant.
“It’s, therefore, possible that they might be returned to him.”