Prince Harry had to sever his official ties to the UK military when he stepped down from his senior royal role along with wife Meghan Markle. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex officially left their posts in March this year and currently reside in California.
The issue was brought back into public attention last month when the Duke requested that a wreath be placed at the Cenotaph on Remembrance Sunday on his behalf.
However, Buckingham Palace denied the request on the grounds the Duke no longer represents the monarchy, The Times reported.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle instead held their own ceremony in Los Angeles.
Analysts called the move a hint into a rift between the Duke and the Royal Family.
Now, royal commentator Roya Nikkhah has said the move reflects a “painful lesson” issued to him by The Queen.
She wrote in The Times: “Anyone who knows Harry knows he would forgo several noughts on any deal to don uniform and lay a wreath at the Cenotaph.
READ: Camilla issues heartbreaking plea for nation to ‘make the best’ of tough Christmas
On the news he was forced to step down from his military appointments, Lord West, former First Sea Lord, said: “The whole situation is extremely sad and I think it is unfortunate, after his splendid service in the military, that he will now no longer be involved with the military in the UK.”
When Prince Harry left the Army in 2015 he said: “Luckily for me, I will continue to wear the uniform and mix with fellow servicemen and women for the rest of my life, helping where I can.”
At the time of writing, the Duke and Duchess’ move to step down as senior royals is not thought to be irreversible.
Palace aides have reportedly claimed there is room for renegotiations during the ongoing transition period which started on March 31.
However, Ms Nikkhah has said it is “unlikely” that the couple will reverse their decision to relocate to the US.
She cited one royal source as saying: “If they are happy, then the gamble of leaving has paid off.”
Amid their move to the US, Harry and Meghan voiced their intention to become financially independent.
Earlier this year it was reported the couple had signed a lucrative production deal with video-streaming service Netflix.
The deal, thought to be worth tens of millions of pounds, will see them producing “inspirational family programming”.
They currently reside in the Californian region of Santa Barbara having moved there from Los Angeles earlier in the year.