Prince Philip health: Duke ‘not going home any time soon’ – Royals ‘united in prayers’ | Royal | News (Reports)

0
52

Prince Philip, 99, was transferred to another London hospital this morning as he continues to be treated for an infection, Buckingham Palace announced today. The news of his extended hospital stay has caused a “significant shift in the mood” at Windsor Castle, where the Queen is currently staying, according to royal insiders.

A royal source told the Mirror: “The staff and all the Royal Family are united in their prayers for the Duke.

“There has been an almighty and collective effort to keep him and the Queen safe during the coronavirus crisis over the past 11 months but there was a significant shift in the mood when everyone started finding out the Duke wasn’t coming home any time soon.

READ  Prince Philip health latest: Duke to remain in hospital all weekend - update | Royal | News (Reports)

“Everyone’s thoughts are now firmly centred on him pulling through this illness.”

Earlier on Monday, it was announced the Duke of Edinburgh had been moved to Europe’s largest specialised cardiovascular centre where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection.

Philip is now being treated at St Bartholomew’s Hospital, located near St Paul’s Cathedral in London.

The hospital is “one of the country’s leading specialist cardiac centres, offering state-of-the-art treatments for the full range of heart conditions”, according to its website.

He is believed to have been taken by ambulance at about 11am today. 

Staff were pictured holding up umbrellas to ensure the Duke’s privacy as he was carried by stretcher to the waiting vehicle.

READ  Negotiators Report Progress in COVID-19 Aid Talks – (Reports)

JUST IN: POLL: Should Harry and Meghan delay interview as Philip in hospital?

At the time, his representative said the Duke had been admitted for “observation and rest” after saying he was “feeling unwell”.

Royal sources said it was not an “emergency admission” and Philip walked into the hospital unaided. They also said it was not covid-related.

Tonight marks his 14th night in hospital. 

Though the Palace has not released details of the royal’s infection, medical experts have claimed the Duke could remain in hospital for “four to six weeks” if he is suffering from a heart infection.

NHS cardiologist Dr Aseem Malhotra said: “It’s more likely he had an infection elsewhere.

READ  Meghan Markle news: Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry becoming ‘irrelevant’ | Royal | News (Reports)

“It could’ve been in the urinary tract or a chest infection and the stress on his body put strain on his heart.

“Therefore he had to be taken to a specialist cardiac centre to make sure heart is functioning while he is treated for the infection. What makes it more likely is his underlying heart issues.

“This is all speculation and it’s difficult to draw conclusions with the limited information.

“He’s far healthier than the average person of his age and is clearly a very robust and resilient man.

“I wish him very well and hope he gets better soon.”

MORE TO FOLLOW…

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.