Meghan Markle and Harry’s Oprah interview ‘should be postponed out of respect for Philip’ | Royal | News (Reports)

0
138

Meghan Markle, 39, and Prince Harry, 36, have taken part in a no-holds-barred interview with US chatshow icon Oprah Winfrey. The sitdown is expected to be the first time the couple speak publically about why they left royal life behind and is likely to cause a stir on both sides of the pond.

CBS is the network behind the special programme and on Sunday released two teaser clips of what is expected to be a sensational interview.

While Meghan is not heard speaking in either of the trailers, Harry is captured comparing their plight as senior royals to that of his late mother Princess Diana.

The Duke told Oprah: “I’m just really relieved and happy to be sitting here, talking to you, with my wife by my side, because I can’t begin to imagine what it must have been like for her, going through this process by herself, all those years ago.

“Because it has been unbelievably tough for the two of us, but at least we had each other.”

READ MORE: Harry and Meghan Oprah interview may ‘promise more than delivers’

The previews were released just hours before Buckingham Palace shared a new update on Prince Philip’s health.

The 99-year-old Duke of Edinburgh was first admitted to hospital on February 16 for treatment of an infection.

On Monday it was confirmed he had been moved from King Edward VII’s hospital in London to St Batholomew’s and that he was receiving tests for a pre-existing heart condition.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: “The Duke of Edinburgh was today transferred from King Edward VII’s Hospital to St Bartholomew’s Hospital where doctors will continue to treat him for an infection, as well as undertake testing and observation for a pre-existing heart condition.”

The expert added: “CBS has invested a good deal in Sunday’s interview now extended by 30 minutes to two hours.”

Mr Fitzwilliams claimed the programme should be postponed as a mark of respect to Harry’s royal relatives.

He added: “However, the bulletin today about Prince Philip’s health should mean that, if humanly possible, it should be postponed.

“This would be respectful and would I am sure be appreciated by the Royal Family, who had not known it was being planned.”

Touching on Harry’s comparison between himself and his late mother Diana in the preview clip, Mr Fitzwilliams said: “There is no doubt whatsoever that Harry is haunted by what happened to Diana.

“When he tells Oprah in the trailer for their interview that he is afraid of the past repeating itself, he means it.

“Of course he is right to be protective of his family and his own mental health.

“However, it should be borne in mind that the terrors of the paparazzi are now far less than when Diana was alive.”

“They have been replaced by the dangers of trolling online and by the misuse of social media.”

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.