Nigel Cawthorne, author of Prince Andrew, Epstein and the Palace, told how the Duke of Edinburgh would have been “displeased” over a decision to “play down” Prince Andrew’s role in the Royal Family during his 100th birthday celebrations. He said Prince Philip is “extremely fond” and “proud” of his son Andrew but knows his name is currently “poison”.
The royal author claimed the decision to reportedly cut Prince Andrew from his celebrations was about the “survival of the monarchy”.
He said: “The decision to cut down Prince Andrew’s role in the planned celebrations for his 100th birthday is one of the toughest decisions Prince Philip will have had to make in his life.
“He is extremely fond and very proud of his son and he will given in to the media pressure with great displeasure.
“But he knows that Andrew’s name is poison currently and that the survival of the monarchy requires that Buckingham Palace backs away from his son.
“It will have been an enormous blow and will undoubtedly take some of the shine off of the celebrations when they happen next year for Philip not to have Andrew by his side.
“It is a poignant moment and the loss of Prince Andrew’s HRH title is highly likely merely a matter of time now.”
READ MORE: Prince Andrew to be featured ‘as little as possible’ at milestone
“He will be included as little as possible.
“It’s not whitewashing history because you can’t leave him out entirely.
“But it will not make a big deal of his relationship with the Duke of Edinburgh over the years.
“This is obviously proving difficult because he is his son and it’s playing down his role in the family.”
The Royal Collection Trust said: “Plans are not yet confirmed.”
Prince Andrew stepped back from public duties in November last year, a few days after his disastrous interview with Newsnight presenter Emily Maitlis.
The Duke of York wanted to set the record straight on his relationship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.
However, after the interview aired, he was hit by backlash from commentators and the public for saying he did not regret “as a whole” his association with the former financier.
Prince Andrew was also accused of not expressing sympathy for the victims of Epstein.
The Duke, who wholly denies any wrongdoings, announced on November 20 in a personal statement he would temporarily step back from royal duties.