The couple has decided to allow Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank to move into the property while they live in the US – a sign royal observers claim shows Meghan and Harry have no plans to return. Frogmore Cottage remains Meghan and Harry’s UK base, after they paid off taxpayer funds for the renovation of the property after their wedding.
Twitter users said the couple could snub their one-year Megxit review, expected to take place in March 2021, 12 months after the couple officially stepped down as senior royals.
One fan, whose bio states they are a “hardcore, unapologetic fan and defender of Meghan Duchess of Sussex”, wrote: “Why am I so damn happy that Harry and Meghan are letting Eugenie and her husband stay at Frogmore?
“It means, what we been knew, they ain’t going back. And they are saying f**k that one year review!”
Another user agreed and said: “Why are some people upset about Eugenie and Jack living in Frogmore Cottage?
“A few months ago we celebrated Harry and Meghan paying back the renovation cost of FC.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will not be returning to the UK, fans have claimed
“We were all hoping that Harry and Meghan give them keys back during that one year review.
“I still hate the fact that people keep saying Frogmore was a gift but they had to pay rent and the renovation cost for a house that they don’t own.
“I hope this means that they want be spending to much time in the UK. If they plan on visiting for whatever reason, stay at a nice hotel.”
A third wrote: “I hope they’ll be doing that review by themselves in that family because Harry and Meghan won’t be showing up. #bookedandbusy.”
Earlier this year Meghan and Harry repaid the £2.4million taxpayers money spent on renovating the cottage in 2018.
FOLLOW EXPRESS.CO.UK FOR LIVE UPDATES:
9.32pm update: Andrew Neil shares ‘disappointment’ at missing out on cameo role in Netflix’s The Crown
The fourth series of the fictionalised drama based on historical events includes a storyline that depicts growing tension between the Queen and former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.
One particular episode shows the pair clashing over whether sanctions should be applied amid many nations condemning apartheid in South Africa.
In 1986, day Times said aides of the Queen had claimed the monarch was dismayed by many policies of Mrs Thatcher.
The story was unprecedented as the Queen must stay non-political, according to Britain’s constitution.
Mr Neil, who was editor of day Times at the time, has since said he hoped his part in breaking such historical events to the British public would result in the former BBC broadcaster landing a “prominent appearance” in the Netflix show.
However, his excitement soon vanished as this never materialised.
He wrote in The Times: “I approached the latest series of Netflix’s The Crown with a certain anticipation, even excitement.
“Episode eight, I had been warned, is all about the great and unprecedented bust-up between the Queen and the Prime Minister, Margaret Thatcher, revealed in a sensational front-page story that reverberated around the world in July 1986: ‘Queen dismayed by ‘uncaring’ Thatcher.’
“I was the Sunday Times editor who wrote the headline and ran the story — and who put his job on the line in doing so.
“I was widely reviled for publishing a story ‘without foundation’ (copyright: Buckingham Palace) and inundated with demands for my resignation and readers’ requests to cancel their subscriptions.
“I was eventually vindicated when the source became known and realisation slowly dawned: it was true after all.”
7.52pm update: Prince Harry heartbreak at loss of military titles – ‘Can’t have your cake and eat it!’
Prince Harry, 36, was stripped of his military titles after he stepped down as a senior working royal to move to LA with his wife, Meghan Markle, 39.
The Duke of Sussex held the titles Captain-General of the Royal Marines, Honorary Air Force Commandant of the Royal Air Force Base Honington, and Honorary Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Naval Commands’ Small Ships and Diving.
ITV producer Lizzie Robinson explained how much the military roles meant to Harry.
“It was one of the toughest things he had to give up when they walked away from the Royal Family.
“He again this week spoke at the Stand Up for Heroes comedy event which is raising money for military veterans in the US and he was speaking about his life of service.”
7.11pm update: Meghan and Harry should NOT be allowed to return to royal fold – ‘Queen deserves better!’
Earlier this year, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex shocked the world by announcing they were stepping down as senior members of the Royal Family. The couple are now living in Los Angeles.
The Queen reluctantly agreed to her grandson’s wish for a more independent future away from the Firm.
An Express.co.uk poll – which ran from 11am to 6pm today – asked: “Would you support Meghan and Harry rejoining the royal frontline?”
A staggering 11,950 people responded with 92 percent (10,955) voting against the couple returning to the royal frontline.
Just seven percent (832) voted ‘yes’ while one percent (163) opted for ‘don’t know’.
Responding to the poll in the comments section, one reader said: “No. They have burned any bridge back.”
6.23pm update: Camilla’s good work overrun with backlash after Netflix’s The Crown storyline
The fourth series of the fictionalised drama based on historical events including the love triangle of Prince Charles, Princess Diana and Camilla in the 1980s.
The show depicts a lovelorn Diana as she desperately tries to make her doomed marriage work, despite Charles longing to be with Camilla instead of her.
Netflix released the new series of The Crown just days before The Royal Family posted a picture of Camilla on Instagram as she attended a virtual prize-giving for the written entries of the 2020 Queen’s Commonwealth Essay competition, which had the theme “Climate Action and Commonwealth”.
Despite the post receiving more than 62,000 likes, some of the 5,000 comments did not focus on the project and instead referenced the portrayal of Camilla in the Netflix show.
5.52pm update: What happens if heir-in-waiting Prince Charles dies before the Queen?
People have long questioned what happens when the Queen dies, and curiosity has only intensified every year she spends on the throne.
She has committed her life to the Crown and pledged not to step down until forced otherwise, leaving Prince Charles to take over.
But the Prince is advancing himself, having turned 72 on November 14, and it could still take years for him to succeed his mother.
If he died before he got the chance, Prince William would become the heir – and once the Queen stands down, would be King in his father’s place.
Robert Hazell, a professor of government and constitution at University College London, confirmed as much in an interview with Insider.
He said: “During William’s lifetime, he will almost certainly see his father become King.
“Only if Charles dies before the Queen would William become king when the queen dies.”
Frogmore Cottage is located in Windsor, England
4.15pm update: Meghan and Harry REPLACE Kate and William
When Meghan Markle entered the royal fray, fans heralded the start of a new power force: the Fab Four.
But as relations between Harry and William worsened, and the Sussexes began to look to life beyond royal duties, the hope of the four working together on joint projects disappeared.
But, now it is understood there is hope of a new Fab Four, with Meghan and Harry replacing William and Kte.
Palace insiders are said to now be referring to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Prince Harry’s pregnant cousin Princess Eugenie and Mr Brooksbank as the ‘Fab Four’.
4.00pm update: Charlotte missing from pictures on display in Kate and William’s home
Princess Charlotte has been spotted missing from a series of family photos displayed by the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge during their latest video message.
The couple shared a clip on their Twitter account to promote the results of Kate’s 5 Big Questions survey – a project she has worked tirelessly on for over a year.
In the background, pictures of George and Louis could be seen on display – but images of the couple’s only daughter were missing.
3.19pm update: ‘You’ve cracked it!’ Prince William TRIUMPHANT after Oxford University vaccine victory
Prince William took part in a conference call hours after it was announced the vaccine developed by the University of Oxford can successfully stop people from developing COVID-19 symptoms.
During the video call with three researchers in Oxford, the Duke of Cambridge said: “Well done, I’m so pleased for all of you guys, I really am.
“I saw on everyone’s faces back in June how much time and effort was going into this.”
He added: “I’m so thrilled that you’ve cracked it – so really well done.”
2.27pm update: Queen oversees new MAJOR renovation project at Buckingham Palace – sneak peak released
Queen Elizabeth II’s working residence in London has entered a new phase in its major refurbishment, sparking an “exciting opportunity” for the public, Buckingham Palace has revealed.
The Royal Family Twitter account shared a new video illustrating what will come next in the 10-year-long reservicing programme at Buckingham Palace as well as how the staff and the Royal Collection Trust (RCT) have been preparing for the new works.
The refurbishment is now focusing on the Picture Gallery.
The planned works involve the replacement of its centuries-old roof as well as the removal of old pipes and wires.
The short clip shared on social media by the Queen’s account shows RCT staff taking down for the first time in more than four decades invaluable masterpieces from the walls of the Picture Gallery.
1.39pm update: Royal Family deny watching The Crown
Royal biographer Robert Lacey, who is also a historical consultant on the show, has said the Royal Family tend to avoid watching Netflix’s the Crown.
He said: “Whenever any of them are asked about The Crown, they always deny watching it. And that may be because imagination can convey a truth that the facts themselves cannot.
“I would say that The Crown comes the closest to actually re-creating the reality of royal life.”
The Royal Family don’t watch The Crown, an expert has claimed
1pm update: Kate set on massive overhaul of ‘outdated Royal Family rules’ before William’s coronation
Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge could launch a reform campaign within the Royal Family to overhaul as series of “outdated” rules preventing her from spending time with her children, a royal insider has claimed.
Her faith in her abilities could leave the royal in a spot where she can push for significant changes to the royal system, according to a royal insider.
Clevver News’ Emile Ennis Jr said: “Kate Middleton has been Queen Consort-in-training for quite some time now.
“But before she officially takes the crown, she’s got a few outdated ground rules that she is determined to reform. Kate Middleton and royals go together like tea and crumpets.
“A source revealed to US Weekly that Kate has flourished into a queen-in-waiting in front of everyone’s eyes and that the Royal Family could not be more pleased. However, while awaiting Prince William to finally take charge, it seems Kate has some major changes in store.
“The source said Kate ‘may change some of the outdated royal rules when she becomes Queen consort,’ and plans to meet with more members of the public at royal engagements.
“The royal insider also went on to say Kate has been very present on social media and has gotten comfortable in doing interviews and virtual chats. She’s keen to continue that in the future as well.”
12.09pm update: Kate opens up on ‘hugely challenging year’ ahead of personal parenting project
Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, described 2020 as a “hugely challenging time” in a new video released by Kensington Palace.
Kate and Prince William’s Twitter account, Kensington Royal, shared a clip of the Duchess of Cambridge in which she revealed the results of the successful 5 Big Questions survey are to be unveiled later this week.
The Duchess herself will share five of the biggest insights gained from the nationwide survey she spearheaded between January and February.
And, she said in the video, she will also speak directly to royal fans by answering some of their questions.
Kensington Royal tweeted: “Join us this week as we announce the results from the 5 Big Questions survey, reveal the #5BigInsights, and take your questions. This is just the beginning…”
11.38am update: As Megxit talks near, would you support Meghan and Harry rejoining royal frontline?
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Megxit review with the Queen is due to take place very soon. Express.co.uk is asking would you support the Duke and Duchess of Sussex rejoining the royal frontline following their sensational exit? VOTE HERE.
The Queen earlier this year reluctantly agreed to her grandson Prince Harry and his wife Meghan’s wish for a more independent future after crisis talks to resolve a widening rift among the Windsors resulted in the couple’s bombshell departure from the Firm.
The royal crisis was triggered when Harry, 35, and Meghan, 38, publicly announced in January they wished to step back from royal duties and spend more time in the US.
Harry and Meghan shocked Queen Elizabeth II and the other Windsors in January when they announced their plans step away from the public spotlight.
A later deal brokered by the 94-year-old monarch meant they went on their own way from April.
During showdown talks, dubbed the ‘Sandringham Summit’, with the Queen, her heir Charles and Prince William, Harry and Meghan agreed to abide by a number of rules to embark on their new life, which are set to reviewed in the new year.
With the review fast approaching, it is unclear how the couple will proceed and whether or not they will ask the Queen to rejoin the Royal Family.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry stepped down as senior royals earlier this year
11am update: Royal Family coronavirus outbreak: Princess Michael infected in Kensington Palace
A member of the Royal Family close to the Queen has tested positive for coronavirus and is now battling the virus, it has been confirmed.
Princess Michael of Kent, the wife of the Queen’s paternal cousin Prince Michael, has been diagnosed with COVID-19, her spokesman said.
He said: “Princess Michael of Kent’s housekeeper fell ill three weeks ago and HRH was immediately tested and was found to be positive for COVID.
“She and her husband Prince Michael have remained in isolation at Kensington Palace ever since.
“Prince Michael did not test positive.”
Princess Michael is said to have been unwell for weeks and to be suffering from taxing symptoms.
A source close to the couple told the Sun on Sunday: “The Princess is suffering from extreme fatigue and has terrible fevers.”
10.12am update: Kate and Prince William’s late dog Lupo helped choose Prince George’s name
Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, 38, and Prince William, 38, are both huge animal lovers and were devastated by the recent loss of their beloved black cocker spaniel Lupo.
The royal couple paid tribute to the treasured pet on Instagram and shared their grief following his death two weekends ago.
Lupo’s influence on the Cambridge clan was such that he even helped Kate and William pick a name for their eldest son Prince George, seven.
The couple are understood to have placed different names on pieces of paper and left them in different spots around their house.
They then went with whichever name Lupo put his paw on.
The palace did not confirm or deny the story surrounding George’s name at the time.
Princess Eugenie has been defended by royal fans amid claims she “blindsided” the Queen, along with her husband Jack Brooksbank, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry.
One royal insider claimed the Queen was told the mum-to-be and Jack were moving into Frogmore Cottage after they had already discussed plans with the Sussexes.
The source told the Sun on Sunday: “Senior royals were initially blindsided by the idea for Harry and Meg to let Eugenie and Jack move in. Obviously the Queen was told after the couples had spoken about the plan.
“But it is very much a deal done between Harry, Meghan, Eugenie and Jack. There is a close bond between them.”
But royal watchers have rallied around Princess Eugenie, claiming she “would never” make plans behind the monarch’s back.
One fan, Sabirah, wrote on Twitter: “Can you guys really stop spinning the story.
“Princess Eugenie would never do anything behind the Queen’s back. This is rubbish.”
A fan account called ‘Her Majesty The Queen’ wrote: “Eugenie would never do things ‘blindsided’. She has no reason why to do it.”
Timeline leading to Meghan and Harry’s decision to quit the Royal Family
Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, and Prince William, both 38, attended a video call to support a charity for men and boys.
Future Men is leading a campaign to encourage men to have more active roles in their children’s lives.
The Duchess of Cambridge and the Duke appeared on the video call, looking smiley and happy as they discussed the gender issue and parenting.
Kate wore a silk shirt with a pretty pattern.
Her hair was perfectly curled, framing her face on which she wore minimal make-up
8.55am update: Princess Anne’s ‘unfussy’ body language brings out ‘rarely seen’ side of Queen
Body language expert Judi James has analysed the Queen and Princess Anne’s relationship when they step out on royal visits.
She told Express.co.uk: “The bonds between these two women might not have been featured as publicly as the Queen’s relationship with her next in line Charles or even his son William.
“This is probably because the crown always places emphasis on the line of succession and the continuity of that line, meaning the dynamic between Anne and her mother has received less of a public airing.
“The other reason for the slightly enigmatic air about the style of their relationship is that, historically, Anne has always been known as being closest to Prince Philip.”
She added: “Princess Anne has always been both the closest and the most similar in terms of personality to her father Prince Philip.
“Her low-key, unfussy, immensely solid role in the Queen’s public life makes their relationship look similar in many ways to that between the Queen and her husband.
“It could be that Anne’s similar behaviour traits and like-mindedness to her father are exactly what has forged such strong bonds with her mother as well.”
8.11am update: Kate and Camilla had to ‘avoid eye contact’ during Meghan Markle and Harry’s wedding
Kate, Duchess of Cambridge, and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, had to avoid making eye contact during Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s wedding ceremony, an expert has claimed.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry wed in a lavish ceremony at Windsor Castle on May 19, 2018.
Over two years on from the special day, a celebrity biographer has commented on how several royals reacted to the ceremony.
Sean Smith described Kate and Camilla’s reaction on the day, where he suggested they had to avoid making eye contact, or else they would erupt in a fit of giggles.
He said: “Prince Charles read and re-read the order of service as if it was the latest fascinating issue of Country Life magazine; his wife Camilla and Kate Middleton were desperately trying not to make eye contact with each other.”