SGS gets green light to test wider scope of Electrical and Electronic products including Electronic Vehicles
PoliticMag Press Release : September 10, 2020
SGS, the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company, has gained approval from the US Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) to test and certify against an expanded scope of electrical and electronic (EE) products destined for the US market – including new standards for electric vehicles.
OSHA works to ensure safe and healthful working conditions for working men and women through the setting and enforcing of standards. Its expanded scope comprises a further 20 standards for EE products and introduces 2 new standards specifically for electric vehicles:
- UL 2202 – Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging System Equipment
- UL 2594 – Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment
John Ciliege, Global Head of NRTL, SGS said: “As electric vehicles become more common, charging stations and charging equipment as part of our infrastructure become necessary. Redundant safety features to protect the user from potential electrical and fire hazards during connection, disconnection, and charging the vehicle are imperative. It is therefore important that manufacturers and brands understand the specific safety requirements of their products and can access professional testing and certification services through our global network of OSHA approved NRTLs.”
SGS offers a range of services to help manufacturers and retailers ensure their electrical and electronic (EE) products comply with OSHA and other government requirements. It will undertake the testing and certification of OSHA’s expanded scope via its global network of Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratories (NRTLs).
The full list of OSHA’s new scope expansions comprises:
- UL 773A Nonindustrial Photoelectric Switches for Lighting Control
- UL 1241 Junction Boxes for Swimming Pool Lighting Fixtures
- UL 1977 Component Connectors for Use in Data, Signal, Control and Power Applications
- UL 1994 Low-Level Path Marking and Lighting Systems
- UL 1776 Standard for High-Pressure Cleaning Machines
- UL 141 Garment Finishing Machines
- UL 283 Air Fresheners and Deodorizers
- UL 399 Drinking Water Coolers
- UL 474 Dehumidifiers
- UL 484 Room Air Conditioners
- UL 778 Motor-Operated Water Pumps
- UL 1030 Sheathed Heating Elements
- UL 1042 Electric Baseboard Heating Equipment
- UL 1081 Swimming Pool Pumps, Filters and Chlorinators
- UL 2202 Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging System Equipment
- UL 2594 Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment
- UL 62841-2-8 * Safety Requirements for Particular Requirements for Hand-Held Shears and Nibblers
- UL 62841-2-11 * Safety Requirements for Particular Requirements for Hand-Held Reciprocating Saws
- UL 62841-3-4 * Safety Requirements for Particular Requirements for Transportable Bench Grinders
- UL 62841-3-6 * Safety Requirements for Particular Requirements for Transportable Diamond Drills with Liquid System
Entries marked * are exclusive to SGS.
OSHA’s standards contain requirements for NRTL product testing and certification for 39 product types. For example, in 29 CFR 1910.303, OSHA requires NRTL approval for many kinds of electrical equipment when they are used in the workplace.
SGS Electrical & Electronic Product Services
SGS is accredited to test and certify a wide variety of products, including power tools, household appliances, lighting, medical equipment, batteries, IT equipment, audio-visual equipment, and products for hazardous and potentially explosive environments. Once a product has been certified it can bear the SGS North America Listed Mark. Discover more at www.sgs.com/ee.
For further information on these services, please :
Global Marketing Manager
Consumer and Retail, SGS
Email: [email protected]
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
For media inquiries, please :
T: +44 (0)1892 711240
M: +44 (0)7851 478350