Man charged with murder of Dea-John Reid, 14, in Birmingham (Report)

0
57
Man charged with murder of Dea-John Reid, 14, in Birmingham (Report)
Man charged with murder of Dea-John Reid, 14, in Birmingham (Report)

A man has been charged with the murder of 14-year-old Dea-John Reid who was stabbed to death in Birmingham.

Michael Shields, 35, of Castle Bromwich, West Midlands was remanded in custody after appearing before magistrates in the city.

West Midlands Police (WMP) said a 38-year-old man and 14-year-old boy remained in custody for questioning and added investigations were continuing.

Two men, aged 36 and 33, and a 13-year-old boy, face no further action.

Mr Shields, from Alvis Walk, was not asked to enter a plea and will appear before Birmingham Crown Court on Friday.

Det Ch Insp Stuart Mobberley said it was a “significant step forward” but the investigation would continue to find if anyone else was involved.

A post-mortem examination confirmed Dea-John died from a stab wound to the chest in College Road, in the Kingstanding area of the city on Monday.

He collapsed in the street and was pronounced dead a short time later.

The force said it was looking into the circumstances which led up to the attack and a specialist family liaison officer had been appointed to support Dea-John’s family.

In a statement, they said he was an “incredibly talented young boy” and added: “We have lost a son, his siblings have lost a brother and others have lost a friend.”

They also thanked people “for their outpouring of love and support throughout this tragic and challenging time”.

And they asked: “How many more mothers will have to mourn for their sons for this to stop?”

WMP said it had referred the case to the Independent Office for Police Conduct as it examined previous incidents involving Dea-John.

Dea-John was a year nine pupil at Harborne Academy and in a letter to parents and pupils, head teacher Sarah Ross wrote: “Any loss of life at such a young age is tragic, but these circumstances are truly appalling.”

The letter, also signed by interim executive lead Sue Woodward, said there would be police officers in and around the school to “ensure the safety of our community” when it reopens on 7 June.

The school has opened an online book of condolence and the head teacher wrote: “We will find ways to remember Dea-John and celebrate his life.”

LEAVE A REPLY

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.