Shocked neighbours have reported smelling “burning plastic or chemicals” as they watch the flames climb higher. One man said: “Big fire in Tremorfa and Splott is covered in smoke. Really stinks of burning plastic or chemicals.”
Another witness told Wales Online they fled the area due to the pungent black smoke being emitted.
The man said: “I could see big flames at the side of the building.
“Didn’t stay too long because of the black, acrid smoke.”
South Wales Fire and Rescue Service said: “Crews are attending a large fire involving tyres at Seawall Road, Splott, Cardiff.
“Please can residents in the area keep doors and windows closed.”
South Wales Police Cardiff confirmed they had responded to the fire.
The force advised drivers to avoid the area as they had closed Seawall Road.
They tweeted: “Road closures are in place in the Seawall Rd area of Cardiff due to an on-going fire at an industrial estate.
“Officers were alerted by @SWFireandRescue just before 7pm.
“Motorists are advised to avoid the area.”
EVAC Cardiff, a multi-agency group which deals with emergencies, warned people to stay indoors and keep windows shut due to the “dense, acrid smoke” in the atmosphere.
One woman took to Twitter to urge fellow residents to keep their pets indoors.
She said: “Keep windows closed and get your animals inside. Huge tyre place gone up in flames Tremorfa way.
“Toxic smoke i suspect from tyres.”
This is a breaking news story… More to follow…