On Friday, Buckingham Palace confirmed the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will not be returning as senior working royals. The Sussexes also released a statement to confirm their exit from royal duties which some have claimed was “disrespectful” to the Queen.
A statement from the Palace said the royals were “saddened” by Meghan and Harry’s decision but that the Sussexes “remain much loved members of the family”.
The Palace added: “Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.
“The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.”
A spokesperson for the Sussexes said on Friday: “As evidenced by their work over the past year, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain committed to their duty and service to the UK and around the world, and have offered their continued support to the organisations they have represented regardless of official role.”
They added: “We can all live a life of service. Service is universal.”
Quoting sources, day Times claimed Prince William is “really sad and genuinely shocked” by his brother’s decision.
The newspaper cited sources close to William, suggesting believed Harry and Meghan had been “insulting and disrespectful” to the Queen.
They added that he is “very upset by what has happened”.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex initially announced their plans to step down as senior members of the Royal Family last year.
As part of their deal with the Queen, the Sussexes agreed to have a 12-month review with the Palace which was expected to be held around March.
READ MORE: Prince William and Edward tipped to take on Harry’s military titles
Mr Brady was a guest at the Sussexes’ wedding in 2018 and he has previously interviewed the couple before they decided to step down from royal life.
During an interview on Love Your Weekend With Alan Titchmarsh, Mr Brady said: “I think they are content, the things they are doing they are quite excited by.
“I think Harry is heartbroken. You don’t necessarily need to have the knowledge to know that, but I think it is true.”
Mr Brady added: “The situation with the family clearly isn’t ideal. It’s been a difficult year.”
Friends of the royal brothers told The Times that both Harry and William are hoping to heal their rift.
One source said of William: “It’s still raw. He’s very upset by what has happened, though absolutely intent that he and Harry’s relationship will heal in time.”
Despite critics’ accusations towards the Sussexes, fans of the couple heaped Meghan and Harry with praise over their decision to permanently step down as working royals.
One social media user wrote on Twitter: “I congratulate them and have so much respect for them both. They are now making their own living and will be free to actually do things that matter in the lives of others, not just for show, but for real. Bravo.”